Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Practice Blog Post

Outline
I. About myself
     A. Ireland, New Jersey, Orlando, Mobile
     B. Disney, Singing, League of Legends, Game of Thrones
     C. Scholarship, Local
     D. Family
         -Mom
         -Dad
         -Justin
2. Eduaction
     A. My mom is a teacher
     B. Love to help others
3. Modern Day Educator
     A. Responsible
     B. Technology literate
     C. Level-headed
4. 2 of my own pictures
5. Interests
     A. Work at Best Buy
     B. Travel frequently


     Hi, EDM 310 class! My name is Kathryn Annette Ortmann but I prefer to be called Katy. I was born in gorgeous Carrickfergus, a charming little settlement close to Dublin in Ireland.  I lived there for 5 years, and then moved to the States where we made a stop in New Jersey for a year and continued to Mobile-where I have been ever since.  Except for the two months out of each year I pack up everything and go to Orlando, where I perform as Mrs. Potts for the Beauty and the Beast show live.  I am attending South Alabama because it is close to home and my grandfather isn't doing very well health wise, so I want to be close to him as long as I can.
      My family is a hoot! My mom is a first grade teacher that has a strong love-hate relationship with her job.  My dad is a chemical engineer who works shift work, so I see him very rarely due to schedules that are never the same.  My little brother is pretty much a mini-me.  And that's why we don't get along very well! However, we're growing together and can tolerate each other more and more everyday.  Our family is ruled by Queen Sadie and King Vader (the family dog and cat).  Some personal information about me.....well, as you can tell I love Disney! I am part of the Mickey Mouse Club for sure! I was on Barney when I was younger, and got to sing and dance with the dinosaur himself.  Growing up without a Southern accent was hard, I eventually just taught myself one and I am sad to say I have pretty much lost all of my Irish brogue. Today I am a huge nerd! I love everything from Pokemon to Star Wars, and am currently obsessed with the PC game, League of Legends.  I devote entirely too much of my time to it and I should probably uninstall it for the span of this semester.

     I want to enter the field of education mainly because I like to help people.  All of my friends and family call me Mama Katy, because I am all up in their business whether they like it or not.  Teaching is a great form of helping others, and they'll end up with more out of it then my unappreciative friends do! Another reason I want to teach is because my mom is a teacher, and I see every day how much she enjoys what she does and all the rewards she receives daily.

     A modern day teacher should expect to be responsible.  They should be prepared to do their work themselves and not rely on other to do it for them.  Teachers should also have a good understanding of the technology used in their classrooms, they will be teaching the "technology generation" after all.  Lastly, teachers need to be level headed, they cannot fly off the handle in a rage when someone tells them they have done something wrong or they need to redo something.  I guess this should be for all teachers though, not just for those in the 21st century.

miniature pineapple upside down cakes


My first picture is of mini pineapple upside down cakes.  I love baking, not cooking, but baking.  Bread, pie, cookies, cakes, anything that is made in the oven is something I love to do.  I would say its an obsession, not just a like-and I think I'm pretty good at it too! Source: Me!

Cinderella's castle at Disney World in Orlando, FloridaMy second picture is of my favorite place in the world, Disneyworld.  I chose this picture because it is where I have been able to let my skills expand and grow. I love singing and am pretty decent at it (what I've been told).  At Disney in the Magic Kingdom, I play the role of Mrs. Potts in the Beauty and the Beast, Live.  I get to dance and sing on stage, while acting as a motherly teapot. I would love to continue to better my musical skill, as well as that of the acting side.   Source: Me! 
Just a couple other things to know about me: I work at the Best Buy in the Springdale Mall.  I am a part-time employee in the Connections department, which specializes in cell phones, tablets, speakers, and headphones.  I love my job and the people I work with.  We are one big family and often do things outside of work so we can get to know each other better.  I am a very approachable person, if you have a question, ask me! My biggest pet peeve is making plans with someone and then cancelling last minute or not even telling them you are cancelling.  Rude! Haha, but that's pretty much it! I hope we have an awesome class and we all learn nifty things to use as future educators.  



No comments:

Post a Comment