Sunday, September 14, 2014

C4T #1

I was assigned Lisa Thumann as my teacher for the week.  Thumann works with teachers to help them with innovative technology in the classroom.  Thumann's blog can be found here,Thumannresources.  I commented on her latest post, which was on August 22, 2013.

    Let's Talk About Attrition Rates at unConferences is about Thumann being concerned because accepting only 50% of participation at the unConference events is acceptable.  Thumman does not believe this is acceptable because she hates to see wasted food and the wasted effort of the organizers who planned for so long only to have half the registered amount of people show up.  Thumman discusses how attrition rates have continued to drop during these free events she is involved with, the last of which only 25% of the people that said they were coming actually showed up.  Thumann questions if event planners should continue to guesstimate or if they should require people to RSVP according to specific rules only if they are definitely going to attend.
     My Comment: Hi, Ms. Thumann.  My name is Kathryn Ortmann and I am a student at the University of South Alabama enrolled in a technology class. I am studying to be a teacher.  Reading your blog post disturbed me and had me thinking.  I don't know if there are really any rules you could apply to those registering if it is a free event.  There will always be rule breakers and those that do not appreciate the planning that has gone into an event, especially when they do not even bother to show up for the event.  I'm sorry you are having problems with this, and I hope things will be resolved soon.

      Untapped Apps on Google Drive is Thumann's article post about the hidden features of Google Drive.  I quite enjoyed this post and learned many new features about Google Drive that I previously did not know.  Thumman describes apps such as HelloFax which allows users to sign and send documents easily online.  WeVideo is a simple way of editing and creating video footage by adding transitions, music, and graphics.  GeoGebra is a mathematics software package that assists in the learning of algebra, geometry, graphing, and calculus.  TwistedWave lets you edit audio files in your Google Drive.  RightSignature allows you to send contracts, proposals, forms, and applications when using Google Drive on a mobile device.  Pixlr Editor is an online picture editing program.
     My Comment: Hello, Ms. Thumann.  Thank you so much for this post! I am a student in an educational media class at the University of South Alabama and we are learning to use Google Drive.  I myself am not that competent in the system yet, but your post has made things so much easier! I love these features that are hidden like Easter eggs in the multitude of options in Google Drive.  Thanks again!


No comments:

Post a Comment